Thursday, December 31, 2009

Daily Thought: Use of a Hammer

The use of a hammer, as many tools, by design takes many swings--many repetitive motions to get the job done. In rare circumstance will you swing a hammer once and complete your task. Instead, you swing again and again until you have pierced a surface with the full length of a nail.

So it is with sin. We all may wish that sin could be defeated and thrown out of our lives in a snap--that we could turn from it cold-turkey style. But the more we live, the more we are able to accept that that's just not the way God designed life. Killing a sinful habit takes fleeing time and time again. Putting a sinful trap out of our life takes taking the hammer to sinful opportunities and desires again and again.

So don't give up, soldier. Don't lose hope in a battle that's already been won by the nails in our risen Savior's hands. He has won it--He has provided everything you need to win.

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence..." ~2 Peter 1:3 (ESV)

Recommended Resources

This little book is an easy read for the not-easy things of life such as: Remembering the Gospel daily, escaping condemnation, being free from the paralyzing bondage of guilt. This is among my favorite read-and reread books!

1 comment:

Rita Schneider said...

Whenever I am trying (or not trying)to deal with a sin or a habit that I want to overcome, and just can't seem to, I think about God and how He could just zap me and I would be changed! He COULD zap me, but it's obedience that He wants from me.
Even if God did zap me I wouldn't know the joy of the victory I have in Jesus or the satisfaction in knowing it pleases Him whenever I turn from sin. I am grateful for God's patience and I value His abounding grace. How I love this Saviour!