Friday, February 05, 2010

"I Would Rather Be..." (The Theory of Greener Grass)

"Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe[...]"

~Hebrews 12:28 (ESV)

The ol' Saying

What is really on the other side of the fence? You've heard the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." Is it greener grass? Is there yet another path beyond the greener grass that leads to even greener greener grass? There's a mystery to it...

...or is there?

From season to season and desire to desire we live--always wanting what's on the other side. I find it sobering how fast I move from desiring the next stretch of my life's road to only wanting the one after that once I get there.

Is it possible to simply enjoy the present?

It is possible to enjoy the present--where God has us individually. Right now as I write this post on a break at work, I would rather not be at work--because I'm tired, my job is repetitive and demanding, and it's a rather negative atmosphere most of the time. I would rather be home...



Words to (not!) Live By

Four words: "I would rather be...."

No one needs to tell us to live by them, because we already do by default. Rather, we must fight to throw them out of our vocabulary--and not just our verbal vocabulary, but our heart vocabulary. Why? Well, here is what I've found those words to mean coming from my own mouth:
  • "I would rather be somewhere other than where God has me."
  • "I've got a better plan for my day (or life) than God does!"
  • "I'm more knowledgeable than the God of infinite, flawless, and authoritative wisdom."
  • "Therefore, I am flawless!"
Okay, stop. I'm embarrassed now--and there's reason to be. Those statements sound radical and perhaps even ridiculous. Do they not? But that's a good exercise to recite them, because if we dig down to that thing in the center of us called our heart, it is ridiculous and does in reality make statements as such. Pulling them out to the light will help us take our wicked hearts seriously and realize where we need God to work.



The Grass is [Never] Greener

Once we get to the "greener grass" on the other side of the fence, here is what we will always find: It's really not greener or better. Is it practically or tangibly better? In some cases it could be. But we will always--without exception--find our lustful selves desiring and reaching for the next thing regardless of what we've been blessed with!

The fact is, the other grass is never greener. Why is it never greener? Because of lust. Simply put, because that is not where God has us. And there is no better place to be than where God has us now or possession to have than what God has ordained us. And frankly, anything good we have is far better than the Hell we deserve! Amen?



Get In the Game!

I smile now at the simplicity of being satisfied. Now for the fight...

"Gratefulness is the first step to joy."


Challenge and Application Questions
  • What do you most often complain about?
  • How can you practice thanking God for specific things each day?
  • What do you believe gratefulness does for the soul?
  • Would the consistent practice of gratefulness have an affect on other areas of life? Explain.



Recommended Resources

1 comment:

Rita Schneider said...

Great topic! Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, but thankfulness for what we already have keeps us from being envious. I've heard it said that thankfulness is the mother of all virtues--if a person is thankful they will tend to be more joyful,humble,thoughtful,courteous, compassionate,contented, etc. But an unthankful person will tend to be selfish, discontented, dis-
satisfied, have an entitlement mentality, and envious of whatever is on the other side of the fence. And so thankfulness for what and who God has given us is the remedy!