Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Daily Thought: Restoration of the Ruined

"I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you."

~Joel 2:25 (ESV)

Damage Inexplicable

Ruined. The Christian felt ruined--ruined in the sense that so much damage had been done to his faith, his zeal, and his passion for God that speaking of how he got there seemed far from an explainable story. It seemed one day he was an extremely passionate servant, rejoicing at the mercy of God and the next--a sinner wondering if he even was a Christian and if there would ever be the slightest chance of being welcomed back home to the Father.

Further adding to the pain and guilt was that this damage was inflicted not only by draining bitterness at the acts of others, but primarily at his own hand of sin. He is no victim, he is a Christian met face-to-face by his own weakness and desperate need for a Savior to trust.

I've been there; perhaps you have too.

And where is the only place hope can be found for such wretches?

HERE:

There is no human so wrecked by sin that He cannot lift up and bring to life.

There is heart so wicked that He cannot cleanse and transform.

There is no sin that His Son's death did not provide payment for.

He loves His glory; He hates our sin. And that is why He so rejoices to bring unbelievers to Himself and bring strayed children back to Himself.

Take hold of the Gospel and never forget it!

The Prodigal
You held out Your arms, I walked away
Insolent, I spurned Your face
Squandering the gifts You gave to me
Holding close forbidden things
Destitute, a rebel still, a fool in all my pride
The world I once enjoyed is death to me
No joy, no hope, no life

Where now are the friends that I had bought
Gone with every penny lost
What hope could there be for such as I
Sold out to a world of lies
Oh to see Your face again, it seems so distant now
Could it be that You would take me back
A servant in Your house

You held out Your arms, I see them still
You never left, You never will
Running to embrace me, now I know
Your cords of love will always hold
Mercy’s robe, a ring of grace
Such favor undeserved
You sing over me and celebrate
The rebel now Your child

© 2009 Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP)



Recommended Resources
Sons & Daughters
Song: The Prodigal by Sovereign Grace Music

No comments: